Sauna plants: whisks, mythology and rituals
Date: 2020-05-28, 11:00
Organizer : Lithuanian Bath Academy
10 places left. Registration to event is available in My activities page
Lithuanian pirtis (sauna) is well known by its tradition to use many different plants and whisk. We are glad to announce the first international Summer course for those who are interested to learn this tradition and to acquaire practical skills of using plants in steam bath procedures.
This is a special 2 days Summer course, May 28-29. It includes a lot of practice with trees and herbs, so we announce it only in Summer time. It requires having at least basic understanding about Lithuanian pirtis and whisking, but it is extreemly usefull also for more experienced bath masters, who wants to improve their skills.
Everyone from bath gourmand and family master all throught professional steam bath master will benefit from it.
It consists of two intensive one day trainings:
A moment from seminar - learning whisking with different plants.
The seminar is planed in rich nature - natural forest and fields, so it may be affected by local weather. Our plans:
- Walkinhg in nature, geting acquainted with the main trees for whiskmaking.
- Collecting branches for our whisks
- Making whisks and sharing individual secrets
- Learning main botanical features of the plants
- Exploring body sensations of different whisks
- Whisking procedure using different whisks
- Lithuanian plants mythology
- Preparing natural plant remedies for bath
- Rituals and meditations with plants
- Exploring secret qualities of whisks
- Body rituals with different whisks
Practical theme, which includes:
- collecting and preparing twigs;
- types of whisks;
- ways of making whisks;
- quality requirments;
- conservation of whisks.
Mythology of trees and herbs
Theoretical theme, which reveals hidden properties of mostly used trees and herbs.
Traditional Lithuanian culture and mythology has very strong connections to the nature. Lithuanians were the lasts pagans in Europe, old knowledges, bealieves and worldview are still a part of everyday life. Understanding plants mythologyand hidden properties of plants are very heplful in rithual saunas or individual work.
Some topics of this theme:
- Male and female plants. Reincarnation to the plants.
- Heaven and underworld plants. Divine play of the opposites.
- World three.
- Mythology of the most common plants of Lithuanian pirtis (oak, birtch, linden, juniper, rowan, willow, bird-cherry, pine, spruce, ash etc.).
Preparing of plant remedies
Practical theme, which includes:
This theme has additional information available only to logged in users.
- collecting and preparing herbal material;
- decoctions, cold and hot infusions;
- hydrosoils and distilation;
- other herbal remedies.
Excursion to the nature, looking for the plants to be used in sauna. Collecting herbs and branches for whisks. Rules of collecting plants.
Rituals with plants in sauna
Having different whisks and knowing their physical and hidden qualities, we can create special body rithuals or whisking scenarios.
Trees and herbs in sauna
Using a lot of trees and herbs is very typical for Lithuanian pirtis procedure. This theme is dedicated to the plants we use for making whisks, herbal tee, natural remedies, products for beauty treatments.
This is a theoretical presentation, which includs:
- Understanding about collecting and preparing plants for using in sauna;
- Botanical, physical and healing qualities of most popular sauna plants;
- Practical recomendations about using these plants in sauna.
- Whisking with different whisks
Birutė Masiliauskienė - bath master, bath plants specialist, international instructor.
Rimas Kavaliauskas - bath master, international instructor.
Who can participate
Primal pirtis and whisking experience required. If you don't have it, please, register to Healthy sauna basics and introduction to whisking course first!
150€. To register participants must pay 30€ advence payment.
Accomodation in comfortable rooms or cottages is available!
Cottage (up to 4 persons, including breakfast) - 80€ per night (when staying 3 nights or more);
Staying in double or tripple room (including breakfast) - 20€ per night;
Staying in single room (including breakfast) - 30€ per night.
Lunch + dinner - 20€ person/day.
Pirtis hollydays with family or friends? Why not? :)
If you want to combine your training with family hollydays, or want to take your kids with you, let us know, and we'll try to find the best ideas for you!
info [at] pirtis.lt (Rimas)
registracija [at] pirtis.lt (Birutė)
Ask a question
Please login to ask question